easy peasy vegan taco soup


Hello reader, and welcome to my first ever recipe entry!!! This is just one of many super EASY and AFFORDABLE plant-based/vegan recipes that I have planned to share on my blog.

I'm so excited to be sharing this gem of a recipe with you today! I didn't know I would be sharing it on my blog while I was making it, so unfortunately, I don't have any artsy pictures of the process to share with you. Please excuse that oversight on my part this time. I hope to include more pictures in future recipe entries!


Without further ado...
It was born on a hot summer evening. I was suddenly inspired to experiment with soup making. Before this, I don't think I've ever actually made a soup from scratch, so I was heading into this adventure inexperienced but determined. I've watched my mother make soup countless times at home so I knew to start with chopped veggies sauteed in oil. I basically opened my fridge and took out whatever I had. Celery, onion, garlic, carrots, and half a red bell pepper. I had no idea what kind of soup I was going for but I knew I had to start somewhere. I'm sorry if the start of this cooking adventure is stressing you out, it's kind of just my style; I grab a little of this, dump in some of that and say a prayer...I could never be a baker.

So after the veggies had been sauteing in olive oil for a bit, I decided it wasn't looking like how mom made it, so I put the lid on the pot on very low heat and let it steam until everything was fragrant and tender. It was beginning to smell right. Success!

Then I looked in my pile of pantry items from ALDI, because where else would I be shopping (can I get an AMEN from all my fellow broke college students out there?), and low and behold I found a canned-match made in heaven: diced tomatoes and kidney beans! At last, I felt a sense of direction, nay, clarity. Victory was mine. I knew this was sure to be a keeper, so with all faith, I started planning how I would present my masterpiece to the camera (aka my trusty android phone...because again...I am broke).

I dumped in those diced tomatoes, those delicious magical beans (which I rinsed thoroughly as to weaken some of their power), and a good amount of water. I stirred the soup, it sloshed, it steamed, I tasted, I screamed....on the inside. *sigh* it was bland. All my hopes that I had recreated mother's wonderful veggie stock were dashed. I had overestimated the power of onion and garlic.

So I quickly began to problem solve by using my favorite cooking technique of "dumping in some random stuff." I added a good amount of salt, black pepper, and my saving grace: taco seasoning from dollar general. That soldier of a spice mix has served me so well. I stirred again, it sloshed again, it steamed, and BOOM! The new bright, comforting smell wafted towards me and, yes! victory was once again mine to claim!!

I decided the soup needed a little green, so I added a generous handful of chopped kale that I had frozen ahead of time. Perfect! It was complete. I let it simmer for a while before I served it up just to let the flavors blend as much as possible.

I'm hoping by now you've guessed that this recipe is not at all exact; it can't be. But, trust me when I say, you can't go wrong with this one. Tip: use the phrase "season to taste" VERY liberally in this recipe. That's all I'm going to say about that!




Here's the "recipe" good luck and enjoy!

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Joy's Easy Peasy Vegan Taco Soup

Disclaimer: take all measurements with a grain of salt, especially the seasonings.


Ingredients:

2 TBSP olive oil
1 large onion, diced
1 large clove garlic, minced
2 stalks celery, sliced thinly
1 red bell pepper, diced
2 large carrots, finely diced
4 cups water
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 TBSP taco seasoning...i think? Start with less just in case...my apologies. I promise I will actually measure next time ;)
1-2 cups chopped kale (fresh or frozen)

Directions:

  1. In a large pot, saute onion, garlic, celery, pepper, and carrots in olive oil over medium heat until the onions are translucent.
  2. Cover pot and turn the heat down to low. Stir often to prevent sticking and cook until carrots are tender. At this point all the vegetables should be well done and fragrant.
  3. Turn the heat back up to medium and add the water, tomatoes and kidney beans.
  4. Add salt, pepper, and taco seasoning. SEASON TO TASTE
  5. Bring pot to a boil, stirring regularly to prevent any sticking.
  6. Once the soup breaks a boil, return to low heat and add the kale.
  7. Simmer for 10 minutes. For a more developed flavor, simmer for longer.
(Makes about 5 servings)




If you get the chance to try out this delicious, hearty soup, let me know in the comments below! I'd love to hear from you!


- {just joy}

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

surviving quarantine academy

rain

5 simple ways to release tension in the mind and body