5 ways to pursue wellness this summer






Looking to grow holistically this summer? I've come up with a list of five ideas to give your wellness a boost this summer. Try implementing some of these activities and tips into your daily routine and see what happens!



1. UP YOUR WATER INTAKE.


This is a crucial step towards not only feeling better in general, but also performing better, whether that be at work, or at home with the regular demands of "adulting". I've noticed when I drink more water daily, I have more motivation, my brain can function more clearly, and I feel more energetic. In the summer, you can really make or break a beautiful day outside depending on if you stay hydrated or not. Not drinking enough water can lead to pounding headaches and lethargy, but drinking an adequate amount water will ensure that you can enjoy that day to the fullest.








2. TRY YOGA.


Sure, there are many other practices you could do besides yoga to stretch or get in a light workout; Pilates, simply stretching your muscles, going for a walk, etc. However, there are so many studies that have shown a vast range of holistic benefits from yoga specifically. In addition to helping to stabilize mental health, yoga develops flexibility, strength, and mindfulness. I recommend using YouTube videos to learn and memorize a general flow and a variety of poses. Once you feel like you have a basic foundation and understanding of the practice, you may prefer to either stick with the YouTube videos, OR put aside the guided practices and make it up as you go. I personally appreciate the latter because it allows for a more peaceful, tech-free, and uninterrupted environment.








 3. EXPLORE A NEW HOBBY.


If there's an old guitar sitting around your house, get on YouTube and learn to play that bad boy. Find art supplies and explore your creative side. Learn how to yo-yo. Heck, figure out the algorithm of TikTok! Whatever you want...the main objective is to actively go after something new and stimulating. This will enrich your wellness in many ways, specifically intellectually. This idea kind of reminds me of when my parents would make me do something new or challenging to "build my character," except now it's more fun because I'm an adult and I'm making the decision to do something good for myself ;)








4. JOURNAL.


This is a great way to increase mindfulness of both the events/circumstances around you and also your thoughts and emotions. Sometimes, if I'm journaling, it can be helpful to start with a thing I like to call word vomit. Basically, the idea is to dump out all the crazy, upsetting, stressful, looming thoughts that have been stuffing up your brain all day. Put holes in the pages if needed. Get it out!! Release it all! Then, take a deep breath and start your regular journal entry. Write about the interesting, the strange, the dull, and the wonderful in your life.








5. START A GRATITUDE JOURNAL.


The mindset and attitude benefits of this are...incredible. Writing positive truths is such a powerful way to redirect negative thoughts and restore your mindset. You can't control the negativity on the news or in the world and you can't always control the thoughts that come into your brain, but you can control how much mental energy you spend on those negatives. Intentionally spending mental energy on the blessings you experience each day will train your mind to sit in that place of gratitude, rather than dwelling on the negativity and giving it the final word in your day. This doesn't have to be a very structured part of your day. Sometimes you will have one thing, sometimes ten things, and sometimes the same thing multiple days in a row. Think of it as training your brain to look at things through a positive lens. Yes, it's possible to do that. No, it's not fake happiness. If you are someone who is sort of a scrooge about "focusing on the positive", I especially challenge you to give gratitude journaling a try. Also, if you are a Christian, God actually calls us through His Word to focus on positive things, it's not just a cliche:  

Philippians 4:8 says "Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things."





P.S. All of the photos in this post were taken on my beautiful campus at UWSP!!! I cannot express how much I love my school and how lucky I feel to live so close to it during the summer while the trees and flowers are blooming!






As always, feel free to reach out to me with questions, comments or feedback. I wish you well!



- {just joy}

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

surviving quarantine academy

rain

5 simple ways to release tension in the mind and body